Sunday, December 26, 2010

BLUE JET


It was the best of times, it was the ... well not the worst, but still pretty bad.


Alvin and I were able to get away this week for 3 days.  In 6 1/2 years of marriage, this is only the second time that we've gone away without the kids.  That's something that I hope to correct, now that the kids are older and can do just fine without us.  We asked my parents to watch the kids for us, and they were kind enough to agree.  

Side note to the story:  We scored this deal a few months ago - 2 nights at the Mandalay Bay with 2 tickets to see the Lion King for $200.  We were so jazzed about this awesome deal, and then about a week before we left we saw that Jet Blue was offering one-way tickets to Vegas from Long Beach for $18.  We hadn't planned to fly, but with all of the rain I'm sure glad that we did.  

OK, back to the story.  Our stay in Vegas was amazing.  I knew that since we were going to be there such a short time, I didn't want to leave the hotel.  Besides seeing the show and eating in some very cool restaurants, I read, finished my Daniel Bible study, and relaxed.  It was awesome, and Alvin and I had so much time to just be together.  I can't remember the last time that I just had so much time to be still and not worry about cleaning, cooking, getting little ones dressed, washed, etc.  It's a little sad to say, but I think we don't realize how much the kids and the stresses of life really affect our temperament, our patience, and the way we treat each other.  I'm trying to hold on to that vacation feeling now back in the real world.

On the last day of our trip, Alvin and I went to the Shark Reef Aquarium in the hotel.  As we were waiting in line for tickets, I called my parent's house to check in and see how the kids were doing.  It's never good to hear your dad begin a conversation with..."Hi Lori. I'm glad that you called actually. OK, be calm and know that's everything's OK.  The paramedics are here..."  Poor Alvin just watched me burst into tears and waited patiently to find out what had happened.

Malia had a febrile seizure that morning.  Without warning her fever spiked to 103, causing her to throw up, have a seizure, and then become unresponsive.  My mom, who was home by herself with the kids at the time, quickly called 911 while doing her best to wake up Malia (she couldn't) and keep the boys calm.  Fortunately my dad arrived home just as the paramedics and ambulance arrived.  Then I called home in the midst of all of this and ended up giving some medical history to one of the paramedics.  This is every parent's worst fear, right?  You leave your kids for a couple of days, never imagining that something like this could happen.

But this was not Malia's first seizure.  She had the same experience when she was 14 months, and I think having gone through that experience with her already helped keep Alvin and I calm while hearing that your little girl is in an ambulance on her way to the E.R.  It was all too familiar, because our first experience with it was just as frightening as it was to my mom. It was also helpful to know that so many of our friends and family were praying for her.  We appreciated every text, phone call and e-mail.

Unfortunately, our flight that afternoon was delayed 3 hours due to the rain.  Alvin and I felt so helpless sitting in that airport, just waiting to get home to our babies.  But by the time we got home that night, Malia was home from the hospital, her fever was down, she was smiling and drinking hot chocolate while watching a Christmas movie.  She looked healthy and happy.  We missed all of the drama, the tension, and the long hours in the E.R.  

My facebook status that night began with, "My parents are awesome..."  I really, really wish that they didn't have to go through that.  I know it rattled them pretty good, but they are so strong and took such good care of my sweetie.  I couldn't have asked for better parents and grandparents to my kids.  I know how much they love and care for my kids -I'm so blessed to have them. I just wonder if they'll ever watch our kids for us again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment